Fwd: GNU hackers discover HACIENDA government surveillance and give us a way to fight back

shmick at riseup.net shmick at riseup.net
Wed Aug 27 16:54:53 CEST 2014

Mark Carousel wrote:
> On 23/08/2014 11:16, dan at geer.org wrote:
>>
>>  > On 2014-08-22 at 21:13, Rejo Zenger wrote:
>>  >
>>  > Open data and transparency should only be about what concerns everybody,
>>  > like government actions, trains schedule, etc. not private information.
>>
>> Is this not the core of the question?  In a world of social media
>> and sensor-driven everything, does not the very concept of private
>> information fade, per se?  I believe it does.
>
> No. Taking part in social networks and other media is a choice. One can
> a) choose not to take part at all, or b) choose how one takes part and
> what information one shares.

actually you chose to step out of the front door today i assume ?
you took the bus to work or maybe you drove ?
i don't know, maybe a tractors more your thing, but you took it to the
gas station and filled 'er up
or you got breakfast at the deli before your meeting ?

how many times were you photographed by the big bad social network
before your first coffee break?

how can you as an individual be in control of this ?
how is it a choice ?

do you honestly believe you're in control of what information you share?

no prob, phone[sic] up FB or dr G and have a word to the secretary:

"yes sir, we just had a looksy & can confirm all your bits are 100%
accounted for, your datas are currently residing on 3,521 servers in 59
countries and if you like, we can press this red button and have it all
removed straight away sir, no lawyer required, no warrant, no questions
asked and a 100% satisfaction guarantee - this weeks promotion also
includes free removal of your NSA vacuum trail, we can delete that too
with the same red button because your data that we were forced to share
can be accounted for exactly sir, we know where it went because we take
pride in knowing we serve our customers best interests..."

which privacy policy thesis have you read cover-to-cover ?
have you read it each time it was updated ?
did you prepare yourself for opt-out changes ?

which CV of yours have you parted ways with to prospective employers is
equipped with nice little java scripts phoning home to your elaborately
setup web server all-the-while alerting you to all those, whose pdf
reader allows outgoing comms, who open your file ?

where is your CV from 15 years ago - you know precisely how many people
have read it don't you ?

used to be fun getting prints back from the lab of you and your partner
having fun times; there was a certain nativity before high-speed data
comms; and who prints photos now anyway, huh !

are kids confident that they know their snapchats will be deleted just
like they were promised ?

where are these snap chats now - do they know lest do they care ?

to err is human, but to forgive divine - how do you tell hard disks this ?

geer's point about moving to a new town also relevant about not
forgetting the past

if you truly wanna be in control of your data, your gonna have to
regulate and restrain yourself until your testicles are drawn over the
back of your neck *or* accept it aint possible now, it may never be, and
when you accept that you'll keep out of the loony bin & fruit cake parlour

or, don't have any data, go to the amazon

heck, you probly knew how your traffic was being routed through iceland,
why it was, who did it and what the content was, right ?