Fwd: GNU hackers discover HACIENDA government surveillance and give us a way to fight back

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu Aug 28 03:52:08 CEST 2014

> But there will be significant overlap between the dataset collected by
> somebody harvesting content and the inferences about somebody's life
> that could be drawn by somebody harvesting metadata. I had hoped the
> quote from the EFF website would illustrate this.

For some individuals, yes.  For others, not so much.  While traffic
analysis is a tremendously powerful tool it does not apply to all
parties to equal degrees.

It was also part of why I used the metaphor that I did.  Malaria and
cholera are two different diseases that often are found in the same
populations and some of their symptoms mimic each other.  One is a
mosquito-borne parasitic disease, and the other is caused by unsafe
drinking water.  :)