installing gnupg-2.0.26

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Thu Aug 28 11:13:55 CEST 2014

On 27/08/14 21:43, Philip Jackson wrote:
> I downloaded bzip2=1.0.6.tar.gz and now gnupg 2.0.26 seems to be working fine.
> Thanks everyone for the help.

The Ubuntu package libbz2-1.0 contains the actual _shared library_ that
programs can use.

However, if you want to _compile_ a program so it can use libbz2, you
need the Ubuntu package libbz2-dev.

Your system almost certainly already contains libbz2-1.0 but before you
can compile gnupg2 so it can use it, you still need the package
libbz2-dev. You should use that one and not bzip2-1.0.6.tar.gz because
otherwise you are installing multiple versions of a shared library and
this should only be done if you understand the implications. Otherwise,
you could cause any program compiled against libbz2 to fail. Although I
think this is unlikely in the case of libbz2 because it only has libc as
dependency. You still might accidentally override a security update
released by Ubuntu, though.

The meat of the Ubuntu packages is as follows:

libbz2-1.0:
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libbz2.so.1
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libbz2.so.1.0
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libbz2.so.1.0.4

libbz2-dev:
/usr/include/bzlib.h
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libbz2.a
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libbz2.so

(That final .so in -dev is a symlink to the .so in libbz2-1.0).

HTH,

Peter.