ePGP extension for mobile

Olav Seyfarth olav at enigmail.net
Thu Jan 2 16:04:14 CET 2014

Hi Edwin,

IN SHORT

To your question: I don't think there is a "mobile solution" for ePGP available.

LONG ANSWER

I wasn't aware that you referred to a product. I interpreted "Enterprise PGP" as
(any) enterpsise-grade OpenPGP-Implemenation. I apologize for that confusion.

While I see the benefit of centralized PGP implementations, I personally would
not use epgp.org any more since it seems to be abandoned: the last build is from
April 2007 - almost 7 years old. No (security relevant) bugs found since then?

I don't know the product. I see no mail client integration in the screenshots,
so I assume it works similar to http://www.symantec.com/gateway-email-encryption
and http://www.zertificon.com/produkte/z1-securemail-gateway/ .

In security gateways, messages get signed/verified/en-/decrypted on the server.
Thus, messages behind that gateway (in the 'local network') travel unprotected.
(Usual transport layer security such as TLS should be applied though.)

<GnuPG-list-off-topic>

Additional thoughts/ideas:

To access Mail from mobile devices, one way would be to have a VPN connection
to the mail server /behind/ the security gateway, leaving you with unencrypted
messages on the phones. You might use a special app that uses phone-independent
protected storage (such as R2Mail2), or put yor company mail app inside some
secured container (such as Good for Enterprise).

Or you might set up additional key pairs for each mobile device and push all
incoming messages to special (even publicly available) 'mobile devices
accounts'. You'd have to provision the corresponding key pair to each phone
and may use any (unprotected) mail app.

</GnuPG-list-off-topic>

Olav
- --
The Enigmail Project - OpenPGP Email Security For Mozilla Applications