GPG's vulnerability to quantum cryptography

Leo Gaspard ekleog at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 23:52:25 CEST 2014

On Sun, Jul 06, 2014 at 12:21:13PM -0400, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> On 7/6/2014 3:36 AM, The Fuzzy Whirlpool Thunderstorm wrote:
> > Using GPG encryption is still good, although it's vulnerable to
> > quantum cryptodecryption.
>
> In point of fact, we don't know this.
>
> Theoretically, science-fiction level breakthroughs in quantum
> computation would break RSA.  But the problem with theory is some of the
> things that theory permits turn out to be impossible in reality.  For
> instance, there's nothing in the laws of physics that prohibit things
> from having negative mass, but we've never encountered negative-mass
> material anywhere: not in the lab, not in the world, not in deep space,
> not anywhere.

Wasn't there an experiment running, one or two years ago, about trying to make
anti-electrons anti-gravitate? I don't remember of having read any result,
though...

> It's good to be skeptical of quantum computation.  It's interesting to
> read up on, but be immensely skeptical of all predictions.

Weren't you the one who preached to assume the worst? It seems rather reasonable
to assume that somewhere in the future quantum cryptography (or any other kind
or huge advance in science) will break whatever cipher we are currently using...
after all, vigenere-like ciphers are almost ridiculous nowadays, while they were
once state-of-the-art.