GPG's vulnerability to quantum cryptography

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Jul 8 00:11:36 CEST 2014

On 7/7/2014 5:52 PM, Leo Gaspard wrote:
> Wasn't there an experiment running, one or two years ago, about
> trying to make anti-electrons anti-gravitate? I don't remember of
> having read any result, though...

It's been done a few times but without results, which is unsurprising:
on an atomic level gravity is ridiculously weak.  It's still being
researched.  Smart money is that antimatter has a gravitic attraction
just like regular matter: if it doesn't, a whole lot of our commonsense
notions of reality have to get thrown out.

> Weren't you the one who preached to assume the worst?

Yes, but there's a big difference between saying "it is possible that
RSA will be susceptible to quantum computation in the near future, so
let's account for that in our threat model," and saying, "RSA is
susceptible to quantum attacks."

Reality should always be described as accurately as possible.  Threat
models should be constructed under a pessimistic interpretation of that
accurately-stated reality.  :)