CRC error

MichaelQuigley at TheWay.Org MichaelQuigley at TheWay.Org
Tue Jul 29 14:44:24 CEST 2014

"Gnupg-users" <gnupg-users-bounces at gnupg.org> wrote on 07/28/2014 05:33:56
PM:
> ----- Message from pedro.markov at ml1.net on Mon, 28 Jul 2014 23:35:19
> +0200 -----

> gnupg-users at gnupg.org

> Re: CRC error

         .         .         .
         .         .         .
         .         .         .

> With this method, the day that you try to decrypt your data you wont
> need to remember a password.

Except you'll have to repair your private key every time you want to
decrypt anything (unless I'm grossly mistaken). When something is
decrypted with your public key, you can only decrypt it with the private
key.

If you're only encrypting things for long term storage and infrequent
access, perhaps this won't be so challenging. But if so, then why not
simply store them on some media secured away in something like a safe? If
you will need frequent or even occasional access to the encrypted data, I
would think it far easier to learn and remember a password. Or better yet
a smartcard with a simple PIN--as has been suggested.