mutt, S/MIME and gpgme (Re: Mutt: Decrypting inline gpg format directly)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Jul 31 11:30:37 CEST 2014

On Tuesday 22 July 2014 at 11:22:40, The Fuzzy Whirlpool Thunderstorm wrote:
> > set crypt_use_gpgme
> > into your ~/.muttrc.

In my setup I am using gpgme with mutt successfully for more than 10 years
now. (Full disclosure, I was on the team that implemented it together with
Werner. I am only an occasional mutt user.)

> Yes, gpgme backend is great. But there is a problem with s/mime
> handling. Before doing any s/mime decryption/encryption, a p12 private
> key is needed. Since gpgme backend uses gpgsm to handle s/mime, I need
> to import my p12 certificate.
> The problem is pinentry doesn't come to foreground when I invoke `gpgsm
> --import mycertkey.p12`. Shell is hanging up waiting for pinentry-curses
> to provide the passphrase. Is there any workaround to fix gpgsm and
> pinentry behavior to work as expected?

I remember there is an issue with importing, using this command line path.
Last time I did this, I dropped back using a x11 pinentry.
I may work if you place the gpg-agent on a shell by itself or using the right
options. I don't remember precisely.

After the import, pinentry-curses works for me nicely in mutt with S/MIME.

Best Regards,
Bernhard

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner