Google releases beta OpenPGP code

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Jun 4 10:32:55 CEST 2014

On Wed,  4 Jun 2014 04:43, dshaw at jabberwocky.com said:

> I haven't looked at the fine details yet, but on the surface it seems
> like they're aiming at Gmail (mainly, but not solely).

Interesting.  This is in contrast to a recent online article in the
German c't magazine [1] where the author claims that Google would
cannibalize their own business model if they offer end-to-end
encryption.  Apple on the other hand can afford the luxury of encrypted
chats because their revenue stream is not alone based on advertising.

Maybe Google now fears that users move away from Gmail and to mitigate
that they provide end-to-end so that they still have access to their
user's traffic pattern.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

[1] http://www.heise.de/security/artikel/Warum-Google-uns-echte-Verschluesselung-verweigert-2191797.html