help needed getting gnupg to function correctly in linux

Tristan Santore tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net
Fri Jun 20 11:41:32 CEST 2014

On 20/06/14 08:03, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 June 2014 at 19:04:16, Philip Jackson wrote:
>> It appears to me (in all my ignorance) that there is a problem connected
>> with gpg-agent and PINentry.   The Synaptic Package Manager shows that I
>> have gnupg-agent v.2.0.22-3ubuntu1 installed.
> Check if you have a functional pinentry package installed.
> It may come in an extra package, e.g. try to install
> pinentry-qt4
>
> A simple test if pinentry works:
>
> pinentry
> OK Your orders please
> getpin
> D asdf
> OK
> bye
> OK closing connection
>

> Next check if your agent can do it.
>   gpg-agent

Phillip,

I suggest you contact the package maintainer for Ubuntu's GNUPG2
packages. I have just recompiled Fedora's locally and it fixed my issues
with pinpad entry I was having. I was running 2.0.21 before.
I will email the package maintainer in Fedora to as him to roll another
gnupg2, even if it is just sits in updates-testing for a bit.

If you are not using the pinpad entry on a pinpad based smart card
reader, try setting the pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry-gtk-2
option(or whichever pin entry option you prefer), in a file called
gpg-agent.conf, within the gnupg directory.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Tristan

--

Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE
Tristan.Santore at internexusconnect.net

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefore no longer able to accredit trust)

TSantore at fedoraproject.org