help needed getting gnupg to function correctly in linux

Philip Jackson philip.jackson at nordnet.fr
Sat Jun 21 16:45:27 CEST 2014

On 20/06/14 11:41, Tristan Santore wrote:
> On 20/06/14 08:03, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
>> On Wednesday 18 June 2014 at 19:04:16, Philip Jackson wrote:
>>> It appears to me (in all my ignorance) that there is a problem
>>> connected with gpg-agent and PINentry.   The Synaptic Package Manager
>>> shows that I have gnupg-agent v.2.0.22-3ubuntu1 installed.
>> Check if you have a functional pinentry package installed. It may come in
>> an extra package, e.g. try to install pinentry-qt4
>>
>> A simple test if pinentry works:
>>
>> pinentry OK Your orders please getpin D asdf OK bye OK closing
>> connection
>>

>> Next check if your agent can do it. gpg-agent

> Phillip,
>
> I suggest you contact the package maintainer for Ubuntu's GNUPG2 packages.
> I have just recompiled Fedora's locally and it fixed my issues with pinpad
> entry I was having. I was running 2.0.21 before. I will email the package
> maintainer in Fedora to as him to roll another gnupg2, even if it is just
> sits in updates-testing for a bit.
>
> If you are not using the pinpad entry on a pinpad based smart card reader,
> try setting the pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry-gtk-2 option(or
> whichever pin entry option you prefer), in a file called gpg-agent.conf,
> within the gnupg directory.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Regards, Tristan

Ok Tristan, thanks.  I went and opened an account on my wife's pc which uses
Ubuntu Desktop and just has gnupg 1 installed as basic.  Thunderbird and
enigmail sent off a signed mail with no problem after asking for my password.

I then un-installed gnupg2 from my pc, rebooted and sent a test signed message
ok - Thunderbird and enigmail presented the usual pinentry dialog (showing
pinentry-GTK-2) asking for password.

I have checked with some signing and encrypting and verfiying using a terminal
(gpg 1.4.16) and all now works as it should. Terminal reports pinentryQt4.

So either the UbuntuStudio release of gnupg2 is defective or gnupg 1 and
gnupg2 have problems of coexistence.  But the gnupg.org site does say they can
coexist.

I'll try and take it up with Ubuntu.

Regards,
Philip