Compiling GnuPG for Windows

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sun Jun 22 18:29:48 CEST 2014

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 23:57, rjh at sixdemonbag.org said:

> I'm not aware of one.  There are a few that are somewhat to completely
> out-of-date, but nothing that's current.  The official way to compile a
> Windows version of GnuPG is to cross-compile from a Debian system.

Right, with master it is actually quite easy with a decent Debian
system:

  make -f build-aux/speedo.mk installer

You need to have a couple of extra packages installed which are all part
of Debian.  For example:

   mingw-w64-x86-64-dev
   mingw-w64-i686-dev
   nsis

and probably a couple more packages which are usually found on
developer machines anyway.  The mingw-w64-x86-64-dev package is only
required for building gpgex but that is the default in master.

For the stable versions follow the instructions you find in the 1.4.16
source or for 2.0 those found at gpg4win.org.

Note that some versions of the mingw toolchain are broken and won't
create a working gnupg.  I am currently using these versions:

mingw-w64-i686-dev   2.0.3-1  all    MinGW-w64 targeting Win32
mingw-w64-x86-64-dev 2.0.3-1  all    MinGW-w64 targeting Win64
nsis                 2.46-7   amd64  Nullsoft Scriptable Install System
                                     (modified for Debian)
on an amd64 box.

And yes, we should figure out the real dependencies for Debian and
Fedora and the Makefile should check them.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner