On the advisability of stronger digests than SHA-1 in OpenPGP certifications [was: Re: riseup.net OpenPGP Best Practices article]

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sat Jun 28 00:35:00 CEST 2014

On Jun 27, 2014, at 4:24 PM, John Clizbe <John at enigmail.net> wrote:

> Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
>> On 06/27/2014 03:54 PM, shmick at riseup.net wrote:
>>

>>> Robert J. Hansen:

> That is as I remember it, Rob. I don't recall if there was a difference
> between 8.0 and 8.1 with respect to SHA-256. JM3 probably would.

My notes say that PGP 8.1 can verify sigs made with SHA-256, but won't generate it.  I'm afraid I don't have a copy of 8.1 handy any longer to check.

Incidentally, since subkeys have come up in this thread, I seem to recall a few strange bugs with 8.x (8.0? 8.1?) that make it difficult to use if the key you are encrypting to has a signing subkey.  8.x didn't always handle signing subkeys properly, so could end up failing to encrypt (it wasn't 100% of the time - it depended on which subkey was dated first).  If anyone is curious, I'll dig out my notes for this.  I submitted the bug to PGP, and I know it was fixed in a later version.

David