UI terminology for calculated validities

Fri May 2 04:23:25 CEST 2014

Am Fr 25.04.2014, 12:58:03 schrieb Daniel Kahn Gillmor:

> yes, users *should* ignore --ask-cert-level:
>
> https://www.debian-administration.org/users/dkg/weblog/98

I completely disagree with that article. And I consider your statement

«I don't think there is a satisfactory answer to the question "how will
specifying the level of identity certification concretely benefit anyone
involved?"»

REALLY strange. It is hard for me to believe that someone at your level
of crypto understanding is serious about that.

You claim

«So there is no functional gain in declaring the difference between a
"normal" certification and a "positive" one»

and – if I understand you correctly – the only argument for that is the
current behaviour of GnuPG. The correct view is that the current GnuPG
behaviour (i.e. not offering the possibility to ignore level-0 sigs) is
a serious problem, really limiting the use of WoT calculation. Are you
really going to tell me that a generic certification was more valuable
than a persona certicifation though the first contains the second? I
hope not. 90% of the current WoT is just the illusion of security.

I once wrote an email to somebody who had written a terribly wrong
article about OpenPGP on his web site. He answered me, thanked me for
the hints and wrote: "I have signed your key and attached it. Perhaps
you want to sign mine, too."

That's what the majority of level-0 signatures means: "I have no idea
what I am doing here."

> > Thus I would like to offer "accepted" as a possible alternative. I
> > guess that shows the user decision. Maybe even as a combination:
> > "authenticity accepted".
>
> Accepted implies that there is someone doing the accepting.

That is exactly what happens. And thus I like the term.

> "Acceptable" might be better, but it still leaves me asking
> "acceptable to whom?" and "acceptable for what?"

The context is the respective keyring. Who "owns" it and for what
purpose?

My opinion as a non-native speaker is less relevant in this case but I
feel like you seem to indicate: That "acceptable" easily leads to the
question "Why? By which standards?". "Accepted" seems to avoid that by
"You have (not yet) accepted it. You must know why (not)". To me
"accepted" seems more personal, "acceptable" more general. But that may
just be a lose language feeling.

Hauke
--
Crypto für alle: http://www.openpgp-schulungen.de/fuer/unterstuetzer/