GPG 2.1.0/Win32: keyserver lookup problems

MichaelQuigley at TheWay.Org MichaelQuigley at TheWay.Org
Tue Nov 11 23:05:26 CET 2014

"Gnupg-users" <gnupg-users-bounces+michaelquigley=theway.org at gnupg.org>
wrote on 11/08/2014 12:54:30 PM:
> ----- Message from Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> on Fri, 07 Nov 2014
> 17:32:49 +0100 -----

> "Robert J. Hansen" <rjh at sixdemonbag.org>
>
> cc:
>
> gnupg-users at gnupg.org

> Re: GPG 2.1.0/Win32: keyserver lookup problems
>
> On Thu,  6 Nov 2014 20:09, rjh at sixdemonbag.org said:
>
> > getting all different kinds of weird errors, from the keyserver helper
> > not being able to communicate with the outside world, to GnuPG
>
> Well, there are no more keyserver helpers.  All is done by dirmngr.
>
> > swearing it's created output but no output file being created (!!), to
>
> Hmmm, I can't see that.

If your system is trying to write to the Program Files directory, look in
the VirtualStore. This can be found at

C:\Users\{YourUserID}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

I've been bit by several applications where files end up there instead of
the original location. I forget, but I think this feature was introduced
in Vista--don't hold me to that.

> > (The "GnuPG insists it's created output, but none exists" -- this one
> > was so surreal that I was seriously considering whether I was
>
> Sorry, I can't replicate that.  Well, with the fixed version but I
> didn't touched anything relevant in gpg.exe.

Again, check for the results in VirtualStore.