Why the software is crap

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Fri Nov 14 13:24:26 CET 2014

On 14/11/14 11:55, Martin Behrendt wrote:
> Am 14.11.2014 um 12:41 schrieb david at gbenet.com:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I even tried exporting my private and public key from the command line and then tried
>> importing. The same error message as before. I have checked on the internet - most of the
>> suggestions are crap - the authors have never ever tried to do what they suggest others to
>> do. If they had done so then they would have known just how crappy their supposed expertise was.
>>
>> I have even looked through https://www.gnupg.org/faq/GnuPG-FAQ.html  and found this to be a
>> useless pile of crap also.
>>
>> I am faced with two options:
>>
>> (1) Create yet another set of keys
>> (2) Give up using gnupg after some 20 years
>>
>> I think I will unsubscribe from this list and give up on gnupg as a pile of crap.
>>
>> David
>>

> I think unsubscribing is the best thing you can do. Because you probably
> successfully destroyed the good intension and motivation of anyone
> helping you, with the offending nonsense you wrote in your last mails.
>
> If you are angry just shut up and write again after you cooled yourself
> down. The problem is more likely with you because there are not many
> people reporting such problems.
> And I can tell from my own experience that it is not even a problem
> copying the content of the gnupg directory between windows and linux.
> Tried that successfully.
> Maybe you should read the FAQ again (and try to understand what is
> written). Maybe there is a difference between exporting the public part
> of a key and the private part.
>
> Anyway, enjoy your life.
> Martin

Martin,

I have cooled. You can export your private key - you can export your public key. You can
import your private key you can import your public key. In 20 years I have always had the
same problem - the same error message and have each time created a new set of keys. I have
done this 4 times.

I notice that no one on this list - for all the talk of "oh I've done it" can offer no
practical information has to HOW. No one. No one. No one knows how to do this simple task.
In all my 20 years I have never found out how. Perhaps things are different under a Windows
O/S but on Linux there is NO SOLUTION.

Perhaps the only "solution" is to import ones private and public keys and lose all your
contacts - ie a brand new installation. But I repeat BUT no one has ever created a mirror
image of a .gnupg and had a fully 100 per cent working signing and encryption functionality.
No one. There are no real practical solutions written anywhere on the internet.

There is nothing of any value in  https://www.gnupg.org/faq/GnuPG-FAQ.html - there never was
in all the 20 years of reading it.

Sure you can moan criticise me for my getting frustrated - and you can all moan and cringe
and all withdraw your support - BUT NO ONE HAS EVER OFFERED ANY PRACTICAL USEFUL ADVICE THAT
WILL ENABLE ME TO TRANSFER MY KEYS AND HAVE THEM WORKING CORRECTLY. NO ONE. NOT EVEN YOU.

You are offended? Why? It is an easy thing to do is it not to moan about what and how people
express themselves - yet you completely ignore the real issue. You ignore is because you can
offer no real meaningful solution. As I have said no one has ever successfully transferred
their public and private keys between machines and got them to successfully work. That's a
real fact. And no one on this list as any practical solutions that work in the real world.
That's a fact. The fact is no one on this list has ever done it with 100 per cent success.
That's a fact. There is no practical advice on the internet. That's a fact.

David

--
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the
kind.Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No