[Announce] The maybe final Beta for GnuPG 2.1

Pete Stephenson pete at heypete.com
Fri Oct 3 17:40:38 CEST 2014

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 4:35 PM, Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I just released another *beta* version of GnuPG *2.1*.  It has been
> released to give you the opportunity to check out new features and to
> help fixing bugs.

Excellent!

[snip]

> GnuPG requires a couple of extra libraries, which need to be build and
> installed before GnuPG.  The configure script will tell you about the
> requirements.
>
> You may try the Speedo system as an alternative build method:
>
>   make -f build-aux/speedo.mk native INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local

When I run

make -f build-aux/speedo.mk native

it does quite a bit, but always seems to spit out the following errors
and fails to complete. The bit about gnutls is non-critical for me,
but it'd be nice to resolve it. The "required libraries not found"
error seems to be a showstopper, though.

I'm doing the build on a stock Ubuntu Server 14.04 32-bit system. I've
installed the "build-essential" package from the repo, so I have gcc,
make, etc.

configure: WARNING:
***
*** Building without NTBTLS and GNUTLS - no TLS access to keyservers.
***
*** No package 'gnutls' found
***
configure: error:
***
*** Required libraries not found. Please consult the above messages
*** and install them before running configure again.
***
make[1]: *** [/home/pete/gpg/gnupg-2.1.0-beta864/PLAY/stamps/stamp-gnupg-01-configure]
Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/pete/gpg/gnupg-2.1.0-beta864'
make: *** [native] Error 2

Any ideas?

> Maintaining and improving GnuPG is costly.  For more than a decade,
> g10 Code GmbH, a German company owned and headed by GnuPG's principal
> author Werner Koch, is bearing the majority of these costs.  To help
> them carry on this work, they need your support.  See
>
>   https://gnupg.org/donate/

Thanks for the reminder.

Cheers!
-Pete