smart card under linux

Philip Jackson philip.jackson at nordnet.fr
Tue Oct 21 00:36:41 CEST 2014

After a couple of weeks away from the smartcard issue, I've tried again from
scratch.  Under Windows7 using GpG4win 2.2.2 with an SCM3512 reader, SCM's
drivers and G10's openpgp v2 card, gpg --card-status provides the following output :

Application ID ...: D2760001240102000005000028700000
Version ..........: 2.0
Manufacturer .....: ZeitControl
Serial number ....: 00002870
Name of cardholder: [not set]
Language prefs ...: [not set]
Sex ..............: unspecified
URL of public key : [not set]
Login data .......: [not set]
Signature PIN ....: forced
Key attributes ...: 2048R 2048R 2048R
Max. PIN lengths .: 0 0 0
PIN retry counter : 0 0 0
Signature counter : 0
Signature key ....: [none]
Encryption key....: [none]
Authentication key: [none]
General key info..: [none]

This looks promising but I didn't take it any further because I want to get it
going under my UbuntuStudio 1404 linux. Using gnupg2 2.0.26.

Trying to use the GnuPG driver to access CCID cards, "gpg2 --card-status" yields
the following output :

gpg: selecting openpgp failed: Card error
gpg: OpenPGP card not available: Card error

I've followed, I believe, all the instructions in the gnupg.com smartcard howto.
 In para 2.3.1 CCID : I've tried both the instructions under 'with udev
(preferred installation)' and further down 'with hotplug (deprecated in modern
systems)'

In the /etc/udev/rules.d/ directory there is a README which says that symbolic
links should not be used in Ubuntu (unlike Debian) so I placed a copy of
gnupg-ccid.rules directly in that directory.  But that didn't help.

lsusb shows that the SCM card reader is recognised and present but gpg doesn't
seem to be able to make contact.

I'd appreciate any ideas for what to try next.

Philip