Wind river

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu Oct 23 20:02:36 CEST 2014

> While i think the most dangerous current threat to our freedom and
> democracy is ubiquitous eavesdropping and spoofing by NSA, GCHQ and
> their likes...

It's a popular opinion.

> I admit US scientists also gave us the means to defend against
> it(strong cryptography).

In the immediate postwar period up until, oh, maybe 1980, most of the
good civilian cryptographic work came out of the United States.  But
since then, it's very much been a collaboration from around the world.
AES was developed by a pair of Belgians, for instance.

> I respect you for defending your (the us) administration...

That wasn't my intent.  I think ITAR and EAR are remarkably silly
regulations when it comes to crypto.  However, it's a good idea to learn
about the historical forces that shaped ITAR and EAR.  :)