Smart Card 4096 Key Question

Tristan Santore tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net
Mon Sep 1 20:29:04 CEST 2014

On 01/09/14 15:18, Philip Jackson wrote:
> On 01/09/14 08:16, Werner Koch wrote:
>> On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 23:27, tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net said:
>>
>>> Yes the card can have a 4096bit Auth, Sign and Encryption key. You have
>> Correct.
>>
>>> to generate them on a machine though, not on card.
>> The cards generate them just fine.
>>
>> Note that this is only true for the ZeitControl as currenty distributed.
>> Thus the warning note you see if you use a different key size than 2048
>> bit.
> I tried to buy an SCT3512 usb key device from Amazon.de and also from SCM in
> Germany.  Neither will ship to an address outside Germany'
>
> I tried the shop at kernelconcepts.de for the card but I can't get into their
> website with Firefox under linux nor under windows - I just get a weird error page :
>
> "Fatal error: Call to a member function add_current_page() on a non-object in
> /var/www/osc/catalog/includes/application_top.php on line 318"
>
> It looks like security is alive and doing well in Germany.  I though we had
> something going for us in Europe these days but apparently not.
>
> Can anyone suggest a supplier in Europe who will sell outside his frontier ?
>
> Philip

Johnathan,

How far into the shopping process ? My cart fills fine here. That is
regarding kernel concepts. Don'y they also do a card reader ?

Anyway, I tried loads of places within the UK, not much luck, then just
bought an Omnikey, but my pinpad never worked until somebody made a
patch. Seems to work fine now. Although 2.0.19 broke it I think or fixed
it. I cannot recall, which one broke and then which fixed it again. ;-D

Maybe you could contact a supplier and ask them how much they would
want, if they order one for you.
However, then they will charge you RRP as a bare minimum, probably more,
as you asked them for it.

Regards,

Tristan

P.S: Maybe choose another model ? Which is more widely available ?

--

Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE
Tristan.Santore at internexusconnect.net

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefore no longer able to accredit trust)

TSantore at fedoraproject.org