Hal Finney

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon Sep 1 21:42:40 CEST 2014

Hal Finney, one of the original PGP hackers and a pivotal figure in
twenty-plus years of PGP development and evolution of the OpenPGP spec,
died this past weekend of complications from amyotrophic lateral
sclerosis (ALS, or "Lou Gehrig's Disease").

Although he had minimal involvement in the Free Software community, he
was a pivotal figure within the larger PGP community.

I knew Hal, though not well.  In my brief experiences with him he was
witty, funny, and unfailingly kind.

My thoughts are with his family.  The world is diminished with his absence.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/31/business/hal-finney-cryptographer-and-bitcoin-pioneer-dies-at-58.html