encrypting to expired certificates

Tue Sep 16 00:59:55 CEST 2014

Am Mo 15.09.2014, 15:02:14 schrieb Doug Barton:

> I set an expiration date on my key because
> I felt there was a legitimate concern that myself, my key, or both
> were going to come under the control of a hostile entity.

a) What period do you choose for that? A day, a week, a month, a year?

b) What prevents this hostile entity from extending the validity period?

> Now that
> worst case scenario has actually occurred, and it is no longer safe
> for anyone to send me encrypted communications using that key. But
> HALLELUJAH!, I'm safe because the software honors the spec and will
> not allow Hauke to encrypt to my key because it is expired.

You are under the control of a hostile entity but you are safe? Lucky
you!

What would happen in real life?

Someone in such a situation (personal safety at risk) would establish a
policy for key usage with those contacts who send information to him of
which the disclosure might cause severe problems.

In other words: Even if GnuPG allowed them to use expired keys (if
expiration was considered a security means under this policy) they would
not consider using them.

Und the other hand: Everyone who relies on expiration disabling being
enforced (and seriously: Who does? Who even knew before this thread what
the exact behaviour of GnuPG is? Not even I did. And I a quite sure that
information which not even I have about GnuPG cannot be the base for an
expectation motivated rule.) is dangerously stupid.

> The point I'm
> trying to make is simply that we don't know what we don't know.

That does not seem like an argument to me for telling the user what is
best for him.

Hauke
--
Crypto für alle: http://www.openpgp-schulungen.de/fuer/unterstuetzer/