Making the case for smart cards for the average user

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Tue Apr 7 14:56:01 CEST 2015

On 7/04/2015 7:57 pm, Peter Lebbing wrote:
> The type of UID that proves problematic when you include the angle
> brackets in your search is this:
>
> $ gpg2 -k ceo at example.org
> pub   2048R/17C05EBD 2014-08-13 [expires: 2015-04-14]
> uid       [ unknown] ceo at example.org
>
> $ gpg2 -k "<ceo at example.org>"
> gpg: error reading key: No public key
>
> It's about an UID without angle brackets! Hence, when you search for it
> including the angle brackets, you don't find it. Your examples all are
> with an UID that actually does include the angle brackets.

Let me see if I've got this right ... the issue is one which can only
occur when the key owner has deliberately overridden the defaults by
using the "allow-freeform-uid" option, allowing them to drop the
standard format of "name <email at example.net>" and then they're shocked
that doing so might produce unintended consequences?

Perhaps I'm being unreasonable, but surely if you go out of your way
to make sure that a particular pattern does *not* appear in your UID
then it is intended that searching on that pattern should not match
your UID.  Now granted, that intention may have been poorly considered
by said key owner, but I'd hardly call it a bug in GPG for not
anticipating that.  After all, all it is doing is matching the pattern
specified by the owner of the key.

Regards,
Ben