Making the case for smart cards for the average user

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Tue Apr 7 15:30:40 CEST 2015

On 07/04/15 14:56, Ben McGinnes wrote:
> Let me see if I've got this right ... the issue is one which can
> only occur when the key owner has deliberately overridden the
> defaults by using the "allow-freeform-uid" option

GnuPG implements the OpenPGP standard. What hoops the users need to jump
through to get a certain behaviour with GnuPG might not be there in
other OpenPGP compliant programs. The OpenPGP standard merely says:

> By convention, it includes an RFC 2822 [RFC2822] mail name-addr, but
> there are no restrictions on its content.

That said, I understand your position. However, the patch to match on
bare e-mail addresses as UID even when searching with the angle brackets
already went in GnuPG 2.1 [1].

HTH,

Peter.

[1] https://bugs.g10code.com/gnupg/issue1927