Making the case for smart cards for the average user

MFPA 2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net
Tue Apr 7 16:04:30 CEST 2015

Hi

On Tuesday 7 April 2015 at 2:14:55 PM, in
<mid:87y4m43ws0.fsf at alice.fifthhorseman.net>, Daniel Kahn Gillmor
wrote:

> On Tue 2015-04-07 08:39:57 -0400, MFPA wrote:
>> I was talking about what happens when the angle brackets are not
>> there.

>> If I generate a key with the UID of:-

>>    Test20150407 user at example.com

>> and try to encrypt an email to user at example.com it
>> fails.

> The above is neither an RFC 5322 addr-spec nor an RFC
> 5322 name-addr. That is, it would not be considered
> acceptable in the To: line of an e-mail header:

>   https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-3.4

> We could invent arbitrary ways to structure a User ID
> that includes an e-mail address, but writing code to
> extract the e-mail address from these things seems like
> a lot of heuristics at best, and there are all kinds of
> ways that it could fail.

> We know how to structure a proper name-addr and an
> addr-spec, and it's not difficult.  If you want an
> e-mail address to be recognizable to automated tools,
> you should structure it in a recognizable way.

> The above UID is simply a mistake, and i don't think
> GnuPG should try to accomodate it.

Fair enough. That we should try to accommodate:-

     user at example.com

but not:-

    Test20150407 user at example.com

actually makes sense to me. I structured my example UID incorrectly.

- --
Best regards

MFPA                  <mailto:2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net>

Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.