Making the case for smart cards for the average user

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Tue Apr 7 17:26:50 CEST 2015

On 8/04/2015 12:04 am, MFPA wrote:
> On Tuesday 7 April 2015 at 2:14:55 PM, in
> <mid:87y4m43ws0.fsf at alice.fifthhorseman.net>, Daniel Kahn Gillmor
> wrote:
>
>> We know how to structure a proper name-addr and an addr-spec, and
>> it's not difficult.  If you want an e-mail address to be
>> recognizable to automated tools, you should structure it in a
>> recognizable way.
>
>> The above UID is simply a mistake, and i don't think
>> GnuPG should try to accomodate it.
>
> Fair enough. That we should try to accommodate:-
>
>      user at example.com
>
> but not:-
>
>     Test20150407 user at example.com
>
> actually makes sense to me. I structured my example UID incorrectly.

Yeah, this is fair because the first one is accepted by SMTP in the
mail from and rcpt to commands, but the second one wouldn't.

bash4-4.3$ telnet seditious 25
Trying 172.17.23.9...
Connected to seditious.adversary.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 seditious.adversary.org ESMTP Postfix
helo me
250 seditious.adversary.org
mail from: president at whitehouse.gov
250 2.1.0 Ok