Passphrases for SSH connections not accepted via pinentry

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Tue Apr 21 11:34:27 CEST 2015

On 21/04/15 02:12, aslam karachiwala wrote:
> I know the passphrase I enter is correct because it works when entered
> into the the graphical app's (e.g., Dolphin, Eclipse IDE) prompt which
> appears after pinentry fails three times.

Note that this is not necessarily true: you can configure SSH to accept
both public key and passphrase authentication. If you fail to unlock the
private key, it could still allow you to login using the passphrase
associated with the account. There is no relation between the passphrase
protecting the private key and the passphrase associated with the login
account.

But "Operation cancelled" is not what I'd expect for entering a wrong
passphrase; I'm not sure though. It could refer to the whole process of
pubkey auth being cancelled as you failed to unlock the private key, in
which case it does make sense for a wrong passphrase.

Sorry I can't be of more help at this time.

Peter.