Passphrases for SSH connections not accepted via pinentry

aslam karachiwala aslam at mythicflow.com
Tue Apr 21 15:29:36 CEST 2015

On 04/21/2015 05:34 AM, Peter Lebbing wrote:
> Note that this is not necessarily true: you can configure SSH to
> accept both public key and passphrase authentication. If you fail to
> unlock the private key, it could still allow you to login using the
> passphrase associated with the account. There is no relation between
> the passphrase protecting the private key and the passphrase
> associated with the login account.
If by "passphrase associated with your login account" you mean the
system password for my username, then that is not why my SSH connection
succeeds when I enter the passphrase in the dialogs presented by
graphical apps. My SSH passphrase is not the same as my system password.
Secondly, when initiating the SSH connection on the command line, I get
a prompt explicitly asking for the password associated with my username
after three failed SSH attempts, which is how I have been working around
the issue. IOW, the SSH connection is indeed failing.

Also, why is the pinentry-qt4/gtk-2 dialog appearing at all when I am
SSHing from the command line? Shouldn't I get a command-line prompt?

--
aslam
PGP key <http://is.gd/aslampgpmit> fingerprint: 736C D83E 32DB A2FD 0208

/Join World Community Grid
<https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/reg/viewRegister.do?recruiterId=877175>.
Help power cutting-edge research in health, poverty and sustainability./