GnuPG 2.1.3 Fails to Compile OS X

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Wed Apr 22 21:53:17 CEST 2015

On 22/04/2015 5:22 pm, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 21:35, ben at adversary.org said:
>
>> en at quot.po:54: 'msgid' and 'msgstr' entries do not both end with '\n'
>> en at quot.po:58: 'msgid' and 'msgstr' entries do not both end with '\n'
>
>> but no need to paste them all in); obviously the cause is somewhere
>> in those sed or make rules.  I'm just not certain of the right place
>
> That script (po/quot.po) did not changed for more than a decade.  I
> guess your sed is broken (did you recently update it)?

Nope, there's only one sed on the system, the default one in /usr/bin
and that appears to be the semi-standard FreeBSD one compiled for OS X
Mach.

*Sigh*  Now I get why Benno spent all that time trying to port FreeBSD
to Apple hardware ... it would be so much easier if we had a FreeBSD
kernel to play with and all that under the hood of the OS X interface.
But that wouldn't give Apple it's little "walled garden" so here we
are.

I'm going to assume that MacPorts needs to do weird shit to make
things behave in the Apple world and that reconstructing that manually
is not as simple as the usual "configure && make && make install"
dance, even within their /opt/local environment.  Which makes sense
because I've never managed to get it to compile at all outside of
MacPorts since all library paths pointing to non Apple libs, like
libiconv, were ignored by OS X.  That being the case I'll wait until
the next release or work out how to convert the source into a locally
installable package via the MacPorts system and test again.  Though
whatever MacPorts uses by default does work since it clearly did with
2.1.2.

I'm half tempted to setup a dedicated Slackware Linux VM just for
email.  It would make a lot of things annoying with the lack of
integration and the screen size things, but it would work.  If
exporting X sessions over SSH behaved properly (e.g. like Exceed) on
OS X I'd've done that years ago (not with a VM), but of course it
doesn't.

Regards,
Ben