Notes from the first OpenPGP Summit

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Apr 28 17:36:34 CEST 2015

> Every environment is free to implement its own pinentry, and we've never
> discouraged that (indeed, gnupg upstream ships several pinentry
> variants).  If a pinentry variant chooses to implement its own
> passphrase cache, that is up to that pinentry variant, no?

I'm not objecting to the idea of GKD providing its own pinentry:
creating a gkd-pinentry sounds like a good idea.

I'm objecting to what I read (and possibly misread) as placing GKD hooks
into the *GnuPG-distributed* pinentry.

I would suggest that in the future we talk about "pinentry" only for
GnuPG's pinentry, and "foo-pinentry" to denote a pinentry provided by
foo, so as to prevent future misunderstandings.  :)