PGP Global Directory does not send verification email

rpr rpr.nospam at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 12:02:59 CEST 2015

Hi!

I followed instructions given on
https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO42020.html
to submit my public PGP key to PGP Global Directory
(https://keyserver.pgp.com) but after uploading the key file
I have not received the verification email to the corresponding email
address at gmail.com. (I also checked the spam folder.)

After a few hours I tried to repeat the submission but the page gave
the following message:

"A pending key submission is already in progress for email addresses
on the submitted key. The instructions in the previous verification
emails must be followed in order to make a change, or you may resubmit
this request in 24 hours."

which shows that the server actually knows about my submission.

Has anyone seen this recently?

Regarding this issue I wanted to open a case at Symantec Support (as
it seems that the PGP Global Directory is maintained by the Symantec
Corporation since they acquired the PGP Corporation in 2010) but I was
not able to do that as the PGP Global Directory was not listed among
their products. :-( Shame on you Symantec )

BTW, I would like to publish my PGP keys to the PGP Global Directory
as it offers a better protection against harvesting email addresses by
spammers, as explained on the following pages:

https://pgp.mit.edu/faq.html
Q. 6. I think spammers got my email address from the PGP keyserver.
What can I do?

https://keyserver.pgp.com/vkd/VKDHelpPGPCom.html
Will I get spam if I use the PGP Global Directory?

Harvesting email addresses from OpenPGP key servers is quite easy.
Try the following commands:

gpg --keyserver hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net --search-keys rms
gpg --keyserver hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net --search-keys rpr

You can also try these queries e.g. at https://pgp.mit.edu

- -- rpr.