PGP Global Directory does not send verification email

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sat Aug 22 13:55:15 CEST 2015

It's long-standing list policy that we avoid talking about non-libre
software, except in the sense of interoperability concerns.  If you have
concerns with how the PGP Global Keyserver is working, I'd suggest
bringing that up to Symantec's technical support, or a mailing list like
PGP-Basics which explicitly supports PGP and their products.

> BTW, I would like to publish my PGP keys to the PGP Global Directory
> as it offers a better protection against harvesting email addresses by
> spammers, as explained on the following pages:

This is a complete nonissue.  Search the list archives and you'll find
this discussion has been done to death many, many times.  The takeaway:

1.  Spammers don't work by harvesting email addresses.
2.  Honeytrapped email addresses on the global keyserver have not
    been harvested to any significant extent.  (I think the record
    is something like four spam emails over a year-long period.)
3.  Keeping your email address private is the wrong way to address
    the spam problem, anyway.