about cartoon in FAQ 10.1. 'Correct, horse! Battery staple!'

Ineiev ineiev at gnu.org
Fri Dec 25 06:19:37 CET 2015

Hello,

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 05:50:47PM +0100, Peter Lebbing wrote:

> >     Und allein dieser Mangel und nichts anderes führte zum Tod.
>
> This is grammatical. There is a subject (or two), a verb, an.. well
> whatever those things are like "zum Tod", I don't often discuss grammar
> in any other language than Dutch so I forgot the technical terms.
> Furthermore, the phrase actually makes sense semantically. I don't know
> if somebody ever said or wrote it; that would make it even worse, since
> a passphrase cracker could try sentences from a corpus of likely texts
> it has scoured from the internet.
>
> It has grammar, it has semantics, it has a proper meaning. All these
> things go at the expense of its entropy.

I assume the amount of entropy is what really matters. for instance,
if on every next step you are free to choose any of 4 random words
taken from 60000-word dictionary, you may put it in a grammatically
correct form[*], then you must get a certain entropy per step.

* Depending on the language, there may be more than one correct form
(past, future, plural, first or second person, modified with
a preposition...), but this randomness is hard to ensure.