about cartoon in FAQ 10.1. 'Correct, horse! Battery staple!'

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Fri Dec 25 10:57:06 CET 2015

On 25/12/15 06:19, Ineiev wrote:
> I assume the amount of entropy is what really matters. for instance,
> if on every next step you are free to choose any of 4 random words
> taken from 60000-word dictionary, you may put it in a grammatically
> correct form[*], then you must get a certain entropy per step.

Yes, however, this characterization seems mathematically incorrect.
Let's assume one in four words in the dictionary fits the grammar. I
hope this concurs broadly with what you assumed. Rather than pick four
random words of the full list, and then pick one of those, you pick one
out of a quarter of the wordlist size.

So that's 2 bits per word you're losing, a lot more than if you were
free to pick one of four random words. And there is a lot more structure
to the sentence given by Matthias than just its grammatical soundness.

HTH,

Peter.