about cartoon in FAQ 10.1. 'Correct, horse! Battery staple!'

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Dec 25 18:50:07 CET 2015

On Thursday 24 December 2015 17:02:54 Matthias Apitz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I do not fully understand why some 4 random words like
>
> 	Correct, horse! Battery staple!
>
> is a better passphrase like, for example
>
> 	Und allein dieser Mangel und nichts anderes führte zum Tod.
>
> i.e. some phrasing which could be memorized better?

The second sentence is found by search engines (2 hits in DuckDuckGo). Don't
use it or any other phrase that's has been published on the internet. A phrase
of 4 random words has a high probability that it has not been published on the
internet (or anywhere else). The tricky part is that you must never put your
4-random-words phrase into a search engine to check this.

Instead of using a 4-random-words phrase you can use a proper sentence with
equivalent entropy provided that you do not use a sentence that has been
published anywhere. Come up with your own sentence. Ideally come up with a
sentence that doesn't make any sense like "The horse was correct. You cannot
staple batteries." This phrase might be easier to remember and has a similar
entropy as the above mentioned 4-random-words phrase.

Regards,
Ingo