How to reset the PIN counter

Pete Stephenson pete at heypete.com
Sat Feb 7 21:16:03 CET 2015

On Feb 7, 2015 6:42 PM, "Rainer Keller" <mail at rainerkeller.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> while trying to setup gpg smart card to be used for SSH authentication
the PIN
> retry counter reached 0.
>
> I tried several things using the admin PIN in order to reset the counter:
> 1. "unblock PIN"
> 2. "change PIN"
> 3. Setting a "Reset Code" and using that afterwards
> 4. Change admin PIN
>
> Unfortunately none of these works. If I now try to "unblock PIN" I get the
> error message "Error unblocking the PIN: Conditions of use not satisfied".
>
> What is the official intended way to reset all PIN counters?

http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2013-March/046261.html should
have the info you need.

I save the reset code block to a text file ("reset.txt") and then run "
gpg-connect-agent < reset.txt". Remove and reinsert the card and it should
be back to factory defaults.

It is worth pointing out that this completely nukes any keys on the card.

Cheers!
-Pete