pinentry-curses unusable with gpg-agent --no-detach

Matt Garman matthew.garman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 15:51:51 CET 2015

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 12:54 AM, Ciprian Dorin Craciun
<ciprian.craciun at gmail.com> wrote:
> Welcome to my worst nightmare:  trying to make GnuPG agent (and for
> that matter the SSH agent) runnable in the foreground.  (My purpose
> was to run it under a process supervisor like `runit` or `s6`, but
> regardless...)
>
> Short answer:  you can't convince any of these agents to behave and
> run in the foreground.

Have you tried the --no-detach option?  That seems to be similar to
your --daemon-fg option.

Also, what do you mean by "behave"?  With the exception of the
pinentry-curses issue I described, all my other use-cases appear to
work OK.  Our workaround for that is to just require X so that a
graphical pinentry will work.  Not ideal, but at least we can get this
going in the meantime.