moving up from 2.0.26 to 2.1.1

Philip Jackson philip.jackson at nordnet.fr
Tue Feb 10 20:09:59 CET 2015

I've been a linux user for less than a year and the only configure/make/install
I've done is for 2.0.26 and its dependencies (when I couldn't get the distro
supplied package 2.0.22 to work).

Now when I look at the dependencies for gnupg 2.1.1,  I see that I need to
upgrade libassuan to 2.2.0, libgpg-error to 1.17 and gpgme to 1.5.3.

The first question I have is whether it is necessary to remove the versions I
already have prior to installing the later versions ?  I suppose simply
installing the later version will not automatically replace the previous version ?

Up to present, all updates to software have been done by the distro's 'Software
updater' and this has not made me any the wiser on the procedure for manual
updating.

Is there a risk of having a sedimentary layer of unwanted an outdated versions
accumulate on disk when updating manually ?

Any and all advice will be gratefully accepted, thank you.

Philip