moving up from 2.0.26 to 2.1.1

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Feb 10 23:53:05 CET 2015

On Tue 2015-02-10 14:09:59 -0500, Philip Jackson wrote:
> I've been a linux user for less than a year and the only configure/make/install
> I've done is for 2.0.26 and its dependencies (when I couldn't get the distro
> supplied package 2.0.22 to work).
>
> Now when I look at the dependencies for gnupg 2.1.1,  I see that I need to
> upgrade libassuan to 2.2.0, libgpg-error to 1.17 and gpgme to 1.5.3.
>
> The first question I have is whether it is necessary to remove the versions I
> already have prior to installing the later versions ?  I suppose simply
> installing the later version will not automatically replace the previous version ?
>
> Up to present, all updates to software have been done by the distro's 'Software
> updater' and this has not made me any the wiser on the procedure for manual
> updating.
>
> Is there a risk of having a sedimentary layer of unwanted an outdated versions
> accumulate on disk when updating manually ?

The questions you're asking are very much the sort of thing that
distributions are designed to address.

What distro are you using?  what version?  2.1.1 has been packaged for
some distros already (as have some of these dependencies), and you might
be able to save yourself a lot of pain by choosing a path with a
maintainer familiar with your system :)

     --dkg