moving up from 2.0.26 to 2.1.1

Philip Jackson philip.jackson at nordnet.fr
Wed Feb 11 14:44:15 CET 2015

On 10/02/15 23:53, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> The questions you're asking are very much the sort of thing that
> distributions are designed to address.
>
> What distro are you using?  what version?  2.1.1 has been packaged for
> some distros already (as have some of these dependencies), and you might
> be able to save yourself a lot of pain by choosing a path with a
> maintainer familiar with your system :)

Thank you for your reply, Daniel.

I'm using UbuntuStudio 1404 - a flavour of Ubuntu, kept up to date by frequent
downloads by their "Software Updater" utility.

I originally tried using the gnupg2 2.0.22 available as a package from Ubuntu,
but once installed I couldn't make it work (and I do know about enigmail having
to locate gpg2).  As soon as I removed it, enigmail worked fine with gnupg1.4.16
(the standard with the distro download).

I then tried 2.0.26 on my own and this worked a treat.

I find that distro packages (for Ubuntu) lag well behind what is available and I
do appreciate that there is a trade-off between proven reliability and
up-to-dateness and also that distros rely on maintainers who may well be
volunteers.  So I don't mind trying available releases more up to date than the
distro makes available.  I'm quite happy using enigmails's nightly builds.

Neither "Ubuntu Software Centre" nor "Synaptic Package Manager" indicate
availability of anything more modern than 1.4.16 / 2.0.22 - unless you know better ?

Philip