moving up from 2.0.26 to 2.1.1

Philip Jackson philip.jackson at nordnet.fr
Fri Feb 13 00:04:29 CET 2015

Hi Stephan,

On 12/02/15 22:46, Stephan Beck wrote:
> Hi, Philip,
>
> Am 11.02.2015 um 22:35 schrieb Philip Jackson:
>
> [snip]
>

> In synaptic: have you set the "always prefer the latest version" option under
> Synaptic > Settings > Preferences > Distribution (tab)? If not, at least in
> theory it might explain why your synaptic does not show you the latest version.
>
> Sorry, if the wording is not 100% correct. I have the German version installed,
> and I'm retranslating it into English.

Ok - this was already selected by default when I looked (and the English
version is :  Settings > Preferences > Distribution > "Always prefer the highest
version" )

But I just found the latest version of gnupg available in Debian experimental by
highlighting the gnupg2 package in Synaptic Manager and then selecting
'properties > Versions tab'  It is not shown in the main window but only in the
properties dialog box.  But that's now clearer to me.

>> If I do gpg2 --version, it comes back clearly with 2.0.26. and enigmail clearly
>> indicates that it has found the gpg2 that I built.
>>
>> So, moving on, if I do :
>>
>>  apt-get -t experimental install gnupg2
>>
>> will I get 2.1.1 installed together with its dependencies ?
>>
>> And returning to my original questions, since it is written that 2.0* and 2.1
>> cannot co-exist, I suppose that I shall have to remove manually everything
>> connected with my 2.0.26 ?
>
> If you click on "remove completely" in the main window, right-clicking on the
> gnupg program list item, all modules should be removed. I think this option is
> the equivalent to the --purge command option in apt.

Thanks for that suggestion, Stephan.  I hadn't noticed that there were two
different removal options in Synaptic Package Manager : removal and complete
removal.

In fact when I removed 2.0.22, I did so using ubuntu's 'Software Centre' using
its removal button.  It looks like the Software Centre only does a little bit of
removal.

How strange, it's like the old story of being only a little bit pregnant.

Best, Philip