MIME or inline signature ?

Christopher Beck beckus at beckus.eu
Sun Feb 15 20:14:27 CET 2015

On Sunday 15 February 2015 16:30:33 Stephan Beck wrote:
> Am 15.02.2015 um 12:26 schrieb Ludwig Hügelschäfer:
> > On 14.02.15 23:05, Stephan Beck wrote:
> >> Well, it's rather a precautionary measure than an actual security
> >> measure, , reminding me of not trusting the key owner's ability to
> >> handle and verify signatures correctly, if he/she uses a signature
> >> no one has the chance to check because the information about the
> >> public key's location isn't indicated by its owner in his/her very
> >> message. I assigned the "I do not trust him" attribute to the first
> >> key he used in a previous message.
> >
> > You seem to have misunderstood what ownertrust is good for. Trusting
> > an owner about placing his signatures is not about how she/he signs
> > messages.
> >
> > It is about how carefully she/he checks identity and mail address
> > before signing other keys. You can only judge that if you have seen
> > her/him in real life doing that.
>
> OK, I give you that, strictly speaking, it might not be the same, but at the
> moment I had no other measure at hand to remind me of being careful with
> that kind of event. And a bad signature event is not the ideal event for
> putting trust in a key owner's identity at all.
>
> Stephan

Sometimes my signatures are being counted as bad ones. But I figured out it is
a bug on kmail or enigmail (there where bug reports on both implementations).
Well, I'am just about tu figure it out, so there may be another issue instead
of them both.

According to the question in the topic: inline signatures always worked, MIME
didn't. I still wonder why, and after my next exams I'll investigate on
that...

Beckus

--
I use GnuPG (GPG) for E-Mail encryption and signing. If you want some privacy,
my public key ID is 2F9D4F14. The file "singature.asc" this message includes

Christopher Beck

Gerhart-Hauptmann-Str. 1
91058 Erlangen
Tel.: 09131 / 9245437