MIME or inline signature ?

Philip Jackson philip.jackson at nordnet.fr
Mon Feb 16 13:53:41 CET 2015

On 15/02/15 22:42, Stephan Beck wrote:
> Hi, Christopher,
>
> Am 15.02.2015 um 20:14 schrieb Christopher Beck:

>> Sometimes my signatures are being counted as bad ones. But I figured out it is
>> a bug on kmail or enigmail (there where bug reports on both implementations).
>> Well, I'am just about tu figure it out, so there may be another issue instead
>> of them both.
>

>> According to the question in the topic: inline signatures always worked, MIME
>> didn't. I still wonder why, and after my next exams I'll investigate on
>> that...
>>
>> Beckus
>>

> I try to be extremely clear. I cannot verify your signature, neither with
> Enigmail nor using gpg stand-alone. My version is 1.4.12
>
> Steps to reproduce the event:
> 1) I import your key using your key-ID from within gpg 1.4.12 typing
> gpg --recv-keys [your key id],
> result: gpg has imported your key, everything's all right here.
> 2) I open the header of your message.
> 3) I copy the signature and save it as a "beckus_sig.asc" file using a simple
> text editor (or, optionally, as "signature.asc")
> 4) I type
> gpg --verify beckus_sig.asc (or signature.asc)
> 5) gpg outputs: No valid OpenPGP data found. Signature verification failed.
> (I am retranslating that into English,so please be kind with any imprecision you
> may find).
>
> What's wrong with what I am doing?

With the expression you used, (gpg --verify signature.asc), gpg will look for a
similarly named data file in the same directory where you saved signature.asc.

Is that data file (the signed email) present there or is it still in your email
client ?  Since gpg replies that 'no valid opengpg data found' it would seem
that you saved the signature.asc file in some convenient place completely
removed from the email concerned and gpg couldn't make the connection.

In any case, the Beckus signed emails do check fine with good signature in my
thunderbird/enigmail client.

Philip