Question about group line use in GnuPG

Anthony Papillion anthony at cajuntechie.org
Sun Feb 22 00:33:46 CET 2015

I belong to a mailing list (PGPNET, a Yahoo Group) that provides me with
a "group line" for encrypting to a group of keys. In my gpg.conf file, I
put something like:

group mygroup at domain.com=key1,key2,key

Then, using Enigmail, I can encrypt to the entire group of keys by
selecting it in the UI.

However...

The fact that gpg doesn't complain about the group line in the conf file
means it must accept as a valid option. So why can I not use that group
address when I am encrypting and signing from the terminal. I should be
able to do something like:

gpg -ear mygroup at domain.com filename

But when I do that, gpg tells it has no key for that address. Why can't
gpg understand and properly process my group line from the terminal? Is
this anything that's planned for the future?

Thanks,
Anthony

--
Anthony Papillion

Phone:       1.918.631.7331
VoIP (SIP):  80774 at iptel.org
XMPP Chat:   cypher at chat.cpunk.us
Fingerprint: 65EF73EC 8B57F6B1 8C475BD4 426088AC FE21B251
PGP Key:     http://www.cajuntechie.org/p/my-pgp-key.html

To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider whether
defending the US Constitution against all enemies, foreign or domestic,
requires you to follow Edward Snowden's example.