Question about group line use in GnuPG

MFPA 2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net
Sun Feb 22 15:09:11 CET 2015

On Sunday 22 February 2015 at 12:32:56 AM, in
<mid:54E923B8.2060909 at cajuntechie.org>, Anthony Papillion wrote:

> Basically, when I use Enigmail
> for the group line, it needs it in the form of

> group <pgpnet at yahoogroups.com>= [snipped]

My email client, The Bat!, requires that as well. It seems The Bat!
(at least in the version I use) passes the email address complete with
surrounding angle brackets to GnuPG to search for a key.

> But when I do it from the terminal, it needs to be in
> the form of

> group pgpnet at yahoogroups.com= [snipped]

If I encrypt from the command line (in Windows XP), including the
angle brackets allows GnuPG to match on the group name:-

gpg -ear <pgpnet at yahoogroups.com> filename

> Copying the group line in my gpg.conf file and removing
> the brackets made if work as expected.

The second copy of the group line that I keep for matching when
using GnuPG in a command window begins "group PGPNET = ". That way I
only need type "gpg -ear PGPNET filename" for the command.

- --
Best regards

MFPA                    mailto:2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net

Virtual workspace, Virtual Office, Virtual Job