Cannot remove passphrase (gnupg 2.0.26/solaris 10)

Errol Casey errol at askerrol.org
Tue Feb 24 20:12:32 CET 2015

When I use gpg2 --edit-key <emailaddress>, and then use passwd to
change/remove
passphrase by entering a blank passphrase. I get hung in an input loop

           lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk
            x Please re-enter this passphrase                     x
            x                                                     x
            x Passphrase ________________________________________ x
            x                                                     x
            x       <OK>                             <Cancel>     x
            mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj

You don't want a passphrase - this is probably a *bad* idea!

                                                            Do you really
want to do this? (y/N)

I truss the process (this is on Solaris 10), and I see it receiving the
"y\r" but it doesn't continue.

I can type N enter, and see 'N\r" also.

So not sure if it is a local issue with tty, compile issue with pinentry,
or gnupg?

But it accepts my original passphrase, and hitting enter twice and
selecting yes I want to do it, gets me to this last prompt and it will go
no further.

Hmmm:

Thinking the compile/linking of pinentry is the cause. I've seen this
before, but just ran

pinentry --version
ld.so.1: pinentry-curses: fatal: libiconv.so.2: open failed: No such file
or directory
Killed

seems I have to modify LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get pinentry to work; but this
change was made en enviornment when I tried changing passphrase above. Not
sure where the input problem is being generated.

$ pinentry --version
pinentry-curses (pinentry) 0.9.0
$ gpg2 --version
gpg (GnuPG) 2.0.26
libgcrypt 1.6.2
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

Home: ~/.gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, RSA, RSA, ELG, DSA
Cipher: IDEA, 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH,
        CAMELLIA128, CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256