how to disable pinentry

Damien Goutte-Gattat dgouttegattat at incenp.org
Wed Feb 25 10:06:24 CET 2015

On 02/25/2015 02:01 AM, Smith, Cathy wrote:
> Can someone tell the how to disable pinentry?  I'd like to be able to run gpg --edit-key, or to open a password encrypted file without a GUI.

You could use a console-only pinentry, such as pinentry-curses or
pinentry-tty. Add the following line in your ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf:

   pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry-tty

> I have gpg 2.0.14 on CentOS 6.6 and RHEL6U6.
>
> I've tried to disable pinentry, without success, with the following
> 	1. comment out use-agent in ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf

You cannot avoid using GnuPG Agent with gpg 2. As stated in the man
page, gpg 2 always requires the agent, and the use-agent option has no
effect.

Damien