Craft public key so that private key equals given string (my password)?

sben1783 sben1783 at yahoo.de
Fri Jan 2 21:36:16 CET 2015

 On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 18:07:40 +0100, Peter Lebbing
 <peter at digitalbrains.com> wrote:
> On 02/01/15 17:11, Peter Lebbing wrote:
>> it would increase the size of the public key by at least 13
>> characters
>> (making it 50% longer) but it seems a good tradeoff to me.
>
> Minor nitpick: I meant 12 characters. I didn't want to think about it
> and simply
> used 'echo 12345678|base64|wc' but that included the newline (should
> have
> specified -n to echo).
>
> And also, it's only an increase of 50% when you use a 160-bit curve;
> it gets
> relatively less for larger curves.
>
> The reason I'm taking 64 bits as the size of the increase is that
> PBKDF2
> recommends at least 64 bits of salting.

 Thank you Peter for your answers - the nitpick in this case doesn't
 really change my conclusions, but I very much appreciate that kind of
 precise and complete information. Even if only for the feeling of
 "complete comprehension" (if that term makes sense in english).

 Ben