How to upgrade from 1.14.16 to 2.0.26 without duplicating, and related issues

Giordano Lipari giordano_lipari at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 4 13:18:11 CET 2015

My machine runs with on a Ubuntu 14.04 LTS distribution. This comes with a default GnuPG 1.4.16 located mainly in /usr/bin as gpg. My competency in software engineering is limited. Following the indications in https://www.gnupg.org/download/index.html and common sense, I managed to install GnuPG 2.0.26 that, however, ended up in /usr/local/bin as pgp2. Therefore I now seem to have two GnuPG packages active on my computer. Admittedly my expectation was that the new version would have taken care of continuity from the old one.

[1] Are detailed how-to instructions on upgrading GnuPG that I missed? If so, could you please point me to them?[2] How do I actually upgrade GnuPG to the later version completely phasing out the old one?[3] After [2] is succesful, will a tool such Enigmail (but, in general, all applications counting on GnuPG) automatically recognise the latest version, seen that the new version is called gpg2 instead of gpg?
Thanks for helping me out!