Thoughts on Keybase

MFPA 2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net
Mon Jan 5 03:44:00 CET 2015

On Monday 15 December 2014 at 6:40:22 PM, in
<mid:548F2B16.1030703 at sixdemonbag.org>, Robert J. Hansen wrote:

> knowing  that person
> is also "the person who bought a bagel at a
> delicatessen  yesterday" and "the person who's driven a
> Peugeot to work every day for the last three years" and
> "the person who for the last several years has lived at
> this address" all builds up to give us a sense of *what
> choices this person has made* (agency) and *over what
> time frame these choices have been made* (time).

To me, that sounds far too invasive to be comfortable.

> Once we have a concept of agency over time, that by
> itself is an  identity.  A legal name specifies an
> agent, but not an identity.  Identity requires history.
> A track record.  A paper trail, as it were.

I like that as a working desciption of Identity. But the track record
does not need to be as all-encompassing as you describe above. I have
a natural pre-disposition to not disclose "Fractions of an identity"
that are not relevant to the specific identity enquiry.

> For instance, visit this website:

>         https://keybase.io/rjh

> You'll see a list of several "what I can do"s.  Key
> 0xD6B98E10 has been used to sign a tweet containing an
> assertion of identity: "I am Rob  Hansen, robertjhansen
> on Twitter."  Thereby, key 0xD6B98E10 has been  bound
> to my Twitter social-media identity [3].  You can pull
> this tweet down from Twitter's own servers and verify
> the statement yourself; you don't have to take
> keybase's word for it.  (In fact, you probably
> *should* verify it for yourself.)

> Likewise, I've made similar statements of identity for
> my GitHub account and for a couple of web pages I run.
> These disparate activities  comprise a record of things
> I have done (agency) over a time period  (time), which
> is ... identity.

I know people who tend towards presenting a single blended identity,
and people who compartmentalise the facets of their life as separate
"fractions". I guess keybase is not a good "fit" for the latter group.

- --
Best regards

MFPA                    mailto:2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net

Coffee doesn't need a menu, it needs a cup.